Hickenlooper is completely out of touch with what Colorado wants and needs surrounding immigration in Colorado. When he is not bragging about sending thousands of immigrants’ names to ICE, Hickenlooper is making comments to national media that Dreamers don’t even want citizenship.
- While running for Governor in 2010, Hickenlooper said one of the solutions to children learning English rapidly is to “work harder.”
- Hickenlooper in 2014 said that we should just take away the pathway to citizenship for Dreamers because they just want to be able to visit family in Mexico City.
- During a 2016 interview, Hickenlooper said there are a significant amount of immigrants in the US that do not want to become American citizens, they’re just here to work and send money back to their families.
- Hickenlooper made it a point to brag about sending more than 8,000 names to ICE, people he said “do not have documentation” or the “resources” and therefore should be deported.
- Hickenlooper said it makes him “sick to [his] stomach” when he hears about businesses that refuse to hire illegal immigrants. (4:00-5:00)
- Hickenlooper made it clear that businesses are the primary issue when it comes to illegal immigration in Colorado saying, “We would not have the immigration problem if businesses were not paying people under the table.”
- In a 2019 interview, Hickenlooper said we need to secure the border, install an ID system that works, make punishments for businesses more severe, and offer every immigrant a 10-year work visa.
- Hickenlooper openly talked about defunding ICE and decreasing it down to a fraction of its current size. (AUDIO 13:20-13:35)
- Mayor Hickenlooper called to congratulate Andrew Romanoff on Colorado’s passage of one of the country’s toughest immigration laws in 2006.
Bottom Line: In the words of immigrant activist and immigration attorney, Hans Meyer, “Gov. Hickenlooper inhabits a different world than most people in the immigrant community. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He’s just wrong.”